One of my networking buddies wrote a post titled:
Enjoying humor where I find it, this statement caught my attention:
“What happened to free? There is no such thing as a free lunch. And no matter what some want you to believe, Social Media Marketing isn’t instant pudding.”
There is the play on food, free lunch, and pudding (instant). That got my mind going on just how to combine the social media to make something like instant pudding which I would have to pay for with my time…. the point of the blog post.
In the comments put in your recipe for social media pudding.
- What are your favorite ingrediants?
- Is there a warning on the box?
- Can you keep social media fresh in cardboard or do you need plastic?
I liked the ending also: “Then “just do it.” Be willing to learn by doing and learn in public. Repeat what works; modify or stop what doesn’t, and try something else.”
- Just do it– even if you are not sure. Start small and be consistent.
- Learn by doing an learning in public– this implies we don’t know the answers yet. Not the study until you can pass the test then raise your hand. This is raise your hand and fail until you suceed. It makes us all feel uncomfortable to fail in public, so start small to fail small and then succeed in wider and wider circles of success.
- Repeat with works– makes sense, but there is no instructor… you need to be responsible for observing and grading.
- Stop what does not work — Have the courage to change. Mix it up.
Relax. Social media is very new. Eveyone else is figuring it out as they go also. Here are some tips to help you invest your time, talents and skill:
- Support, collaborate, share: no one succeeds in a vacuum.
- Use quotes from your friends or others. Even ask directly for them: see my blog post asking for quotes: GotQuotes?
- Post about other’s posts like I am doing. Bonnie gets a good idea and I help out with it. See everyone getting to the top, not only one ladder which you kick others off. Be sure to link back to the orginal post so it is easy for readers to follow.
- Throw in humor by the shovel full.
- #pun – Corduroy pillows are making headlines.
- A cargo ship carrying red paint collided with one carrying blue paint. The sailors were marooned. #pun
- Ketchup on hot dogs? I can relish the thought. #pun
- These are all tweet size… to add some humor if you choose
- Bumper Stickers
- BumperSticker “Lottery — A tax on people who are bad at math.”
- BumperSticker “If this is tourist season — Why can’t we shoot them?”
- BumperSticker“Why is ‘abbreviation’ such a long word?”
- Sign On a Plumber’s truck: “We repair what your husband fixed.”
- Sign On a Church’s Bill board: “7 days without God makes one weak.”
- Sign At a Tire Store “Invite us to your next blowout.”
- Caution with humor. The world can see this and you cannot take it back. Don’t push the envelope too far. Unable to let this pass without a pun: No matter how much you push the envelope, it’ll still be stationery.